Storage Management Initiative (SMI)
SMI ~ Simplifying storage management
SMI is a membership-based initiative created by the SNIA to develop and standardize interoperable storage management technologies and promote them to the storage, networking and end-user communities.
"SMI-S Requirements" For storage management, Microsoft supports SMI-S profiles and regularly attends SMI-Lab plugfests. Windows Server 2012 and System Center 2012 support SMI-S based provider implementations for SAN, NAS and FC switch devices.
Key programs in SMI:
Learn more about SMI:
►What’s new for SMI-S in Windows Server 2012 R2, Blog by Jeff Goldner, Microsoft.
Providing end-user storage management solutions
SMI is dedicated to fostering the creation of implementable, deployable and verifiable end-user storage management solutions based on SNIA standards adopted industry-wide. These solutions take into consideration industry evolution and growth with a cost-effective approach emphasizing continuous support and standardization due to industry maturation and vendor development variation. Through the advancement and development of standards, software, and education, SMI is committed to ensuring that end-user needs are met. One goal is the deliberate resolution of vendor issues, taking into account achievable interoperability, communication, and best practices in the Storage Network—with an emphasis on value as well as return on investment for the entire industry.
SMI-S: Standardizing Storage Management
With the adoption of Storage Management Initiative Specification (SMI-S) by the SNIA in 2002, most of the activities and programs driving SMI-S became one of SMI's primary responsibilities and missions. In January 2007, in conjunction with the announcement of SMI-S being designated as an ISO/IEC standard, all SMI-S activities, groups, and efforts were consolidated under the Initiative making it the primary organization governing the SMI-S effort with the guidance of the SNIA Board of Directors and SNIA Technical Council and under the supervision and management of the SMI Governing Board.
SMI Organization and Areas of Focus
The SMI, like SNIA, is primarily a volunteer organization and depends on its membership in order to drive and facilitate its work. Learn more about the organization of SMI and SMI-S Technical Work Groups.
If you are interested in becoming a member please visit Join SMI.
The next SMI-Lab Plugfest is
January 13 - 16, 2014.
Register to attend!
SMI-Lab plugfests are held several times a year, usually at the SNIA US Technology Center in Colorado Springs, to test interoperability across SMI-S implementations, validate CTP test updates, and create proof-of-concept implementations of proposals for inclusion in the SMI-S standard. Plugfests provide an opportunity to meet with peer developers and folks supporting commonly used CIMOMs.
SMI-Lab 14 Plugfests:
- Plugfest #1 Jan 13-16, 2014 (DATE CHANGE) Register
- Plugfest #2 March 17-20, 2014
Plugfest #3 May 19-22, 2014
- Hosted by Microsoft in Redmond, WA, U.S., and Shanghai, China
(Additional plugfest dates TBD)
SMI-Lab 13 Plugfests:
- Plugfest #1 January 21 - 24, 2013 -- Plugfest #1 Report
Plugfest #2 March 4 - 7, 2013 - Plugfest #2 Report
(Hosted by Microsoft)
- Plugfest #3 May 20 - 23, 2013 - Plugfest #3 Report
Plugfest #4 August 19 - 22, 2013 - Plugfest #4 Report
Plugfest #5 October 21 - 24, 2013
(Hosted by Huawei in Santa Clara, CA, U.S., and ChengDu,China)
- Plugfest #1 - January 30 - February 2, 2012 -- Plugfest #1 Report
- Plugfest #2 - March 26 - 29, 2012 -- Plugfest #2 Report
- Plugfest #3 - May 21 - 24, 2012 -- Plugfest #3 Report
Plugfest #4 - August 6 - 9, 2012 (Hosted by Microsoft)
-- Plugfest #4 Report
- Plugfest #5 - October 22 - 25, 2012 -- Plugfest #5 Report
SMI-Lab 11 Plugfests held in 2011:
- Plugfest #1 January 31-February 3 -- Plugfest #1 Report.
- Plugfest #2 March 28-31 -- Plugfest #2 Report.
- Plugfest #3 May 23-26 -- Plugfest #3 Report
- Plugfest #4 August 8-11 -- Plugfest #4 Report
- Plugfest #5 October 17-20 -- Plugfest #5 Report
What's the Latest?
Register now for @SNIASMI
SMI-S Track scheduled for SNIA Annual Members' Symposium
SMI-S Track: Jan. 13-15
January SMI-Lab Plugfest date change
New dates: Jan 13-16, 2014, Colorado Springs.
October Plugfest a success.
This SMI-Lab plugfest, hosted by Huawei in Santa Clara, California, U.S.A, and ChengDu, China, attacted over 50 attendees.
Microsoft SMI-S Requirements
Registration open for August 19 - 22 plugfest.
Register for this SMI-Lab plugfest, CO Springs.
May SMI-Lab Plugfest report now posted.
SMI at MMS 2013 April 8-12
Download report. (NEW)
October 2013 plugfest to be hosted by Huawei.
Santa Clara, California
March 2013 plugfest report posted.
Microsoft hosted: Download report.
CTP Info sheet now available
Download to learn more about CTP.
SMI honored with Outstanding Achievement of a Forum or Initiative in 2012 award.
At the January Winter Symposium, SNIA presented the award to Don Deel, SMI Board Chair.
SMI-S 1.6 published
SMI-S 1.6 Revision 4 is now available as a SNIA Technical Position.
SMI-S Conformance Testing Program
What is the SMI-S Conformance Testing Program (CTP)?
- CTP validates that a company's storage networking products conform to the SMI-S specification.
- CTP is an annual program offering unlimited testing throughout the year, allowing a company to test as many products as it wishes against any available version of the CTP test.
- CTP is a one-stop way to ensure that you have incorporated the latest SMI-S-based fixes and revisions into your product.
How does SMI-S CTP work?
First a company signs up for CTP. Then the company downloads CTP tests and runs them to verify that its product conforms to SMI-S. When the company is ready to officially verify that a product conforms to SMI-S, it tests the product (at its own facilities or at the SNIA Technology Center) and submits the results. The CTP Program Manager verifies and publishes SMI-S conformant test results.
Top Three Reasons to join the SMI-S CTP program
- Lead the industry - More than half of the top 10 storage companies in the world offer products that are SMI-S conformant!
- Build your business - Your strategic partners and customers are requiring it!
- Keep your customers happy - Including CTP in your QA cycles helps keep your customers out of trouble!
Getting started with SMI-S CTP
Contact the SNIA-CTP Program Office at the SNIA Technology Center in Colorado Springs to sign up for CTP:
1-719-694-1381 or email@example.com.
The CTP Program Manager will help you get signed up.
Upcoming in 2014 (SMI)
SMI-Lab 14 Plugfest #1
Jan. 13 - 16
Colorado Springs, CO
SNIA Annual Members' Symposium
Jan. 27 - 30
San Jose, CA
(SMI-S Track Mon-Wed)
- Test your product for SMI-S conformance.
- View published test results. Published SMI-S CTP results inform storage purchases.
- SMI-S CTP video
SMI in the News
SNIA Standards & Plugfests improve interoperability.
Read press release.
SNIA announces SMI-S Conformance Test enhancements.
Read press release.
- SNIA Technology Center re-opened after evacuation during Waldo Canyon Fire. Read article.
- Storage automation w/ System Center 2012 & IBM using SMI-S. Read IBM info.
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) Storage Gateway supports SMI-S. Read B2C article.
VMM 2012 uses SMI-S to interoperate with large number of arrays. Read blog.